Sunday, August 03, 2008

Courage

As I get older I really believe what i need more of every day is COURAGE.

I have a sister born with a birth defect, shes 41 and mentally about 2. When I was in the second grade she was institutionalized, I only saw her on the weekends the transition was rough on me. Evidently I was afraid of the same happening to me. My parents divorce at age 12. At age 19 my cousin the same age was paralyzed after diving into a swimming pool. Two years later he died from complications from long hospital stay after a driving accident. At age 3 my oldest son had leukemia and a bone marrow transplant that has had lasting negative effects on his life and our entire family.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging or complaining. I know there are people who have had it worse,...worse by far. I honestly love my life, I have a beautiful wife and 4 amazing children a great job many, many blessings in my life.

As much as I love those those blessings and good times, Ive seen enough in my life to know that with or without Jesus those good times are temporary. So each day what I need is courage and faith. Faith that God is active and impacting eternity even when the temporal seems out of control and courage to face difficulty I could never have imagined in the days of my optimistic youth.

Two verses come to mind:
Joshua 1:7
Jeremiah 1:7

I hear God saying, stand up and engage in the things I am doing, be bold, don't just sit around waiting for bad things to happen, be a part of advancing my kingdom and impact life beyond this broken place.

I remember saying and feeling similiar things about faith and courage in my youth. I dont think I was insincere, but i think it means more to me now.

2 comments:

Corey W said...

Excellent insight. 'Preciate you sharing your story and how you've found Biblical motivation to focus on the main thing. Keep on keepin' on.

Anonymous said...

Please. can you PM me and tell me number of much more thinks about this. I am truly fan of one' s webpage...gets solved properly asap.